Sunday, March 20, 2011

More baby blues

As promised, here are the rest of the photos from the last baby shower gift.


This is the quilt (with Mickey Bear hanging out in the background).  Side note - I purchased Mickey Bear several years ago, however, at my recent trip to Disneyland, I learned that he is now named Duffy.  I'm not sure how I feel about that name...but, back to the quilt.



Nice pajama pants!
This quilt started with a little rubber ducky print that you can barely see above. From there, I added a yellow dot, blue dot, white with blue dot and green with little booties.  Each row is broken up with a blue gingham.  Putting the rows together was a bit of a sudoku puzzle, I love puzzles.


This is the first quilt that I have quilted by hand.  I quilted about a quarter inch inside each of the squares.  You can kind of make out the scrunchy bunching in the photo above.  (Yes, that is an official quilting term :)  In person, it had a nice homey feel to it.  I'm convinced now that hand quilting is the way to go and I actually really enjoyed doing it.

Here's a little peek at the back.  I pieced together a row of each of the prints.  The top was a cute little baby bottle print and the bottom was more blue gingham.  The binding was also blue gingham.

Another first on this quilt, after a bit of encouragement from a few people, I added a tag to the back.  I found a tutorial online for this tag.  Originally I planned on printing directly onto some fabric, but found that most of those labels can't be washed with detergent.  I didn't find that too practical for a baby blanket, so this was done with a permanent marker.  After writing on the white square, I added the dot border.  Then I sewed another square on top of the label (right sides together).  The next step is the cut an "x" in the square you just added and then turn the block right side out.  Press flat the block and sew it to your quilt.  If that didn't make any sense, let me know and I'll try to find the original tutorial.
Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...