Monday, May 23, 2011

Surfboards, Guitars and Trailers, oh my

Hi people!  Took a mini-hiatus but I'm back with a new quilt project.  This one is for one of my best good buddies who is having her first baby (a boy) in just a few short weeks.  While he wanted a sports theme and she wanted an ocean theme, they compromised on a surf theme for the baby room.  Lucky for me, this decision was made pretty early in the pregnancy so I was able to scope out some appropriate fabrics.

When I stumbled upon Circa 60 by Monaluna, I knew it was the one.  Not only does this fabric have great, bold colors, it's also 100% organic (and I knew Mom would appreciate that.)  The fabric features owls, seagulls, surfboards, sun and some super cool VW bus and airstream trailer prints.  (Did you know I'm a sucker for fabrics that feature any sort of trailer?)


So here are the blocks up on my design wall.  With such big novelty prints, I went with a simple brick like block in alternating directions.  At this point I was debating the addition of any sashing, but it was so large already, I skipped it.


When the blocks for the front were all cut and pieced, I had just a few scraps left over, so I cut them into small 3 1/2 inch squares to use on the back.  Here they are ready to be randomly pieced into a row.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love it, so bold yet so simple. I'm sure they'll love it too :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...