Tuesday, January 10, 2012

More nursery details

When it comes to sewing, I'm all about online tutorials.  I spend way too many hours on my phone and Google Reader scouring the internet for the best in online inspiration.  (This is especially true during those late night, half hour nursing sessions.)

One of my go-to blogs for inspiration is V and Co.  One glance at this site and you'll instantly see what I'm talking about.  The photos are gorgeous and the tutorials are easy to follow with great results.


This blanket is called Baby Life and was featured on the Moda Bake Shop (another great source for tutorials).  I used the woodgrain in bark fabric by Joel Dewberry available here.  The wording on the blanket and the colored border are It's a Hoot by Momo and the binding is from my stash by DS Quilts.  The backing is a lime green minky dot.  I love how this blanket turned out and it's one of the first things I notice as I walk in to the nursery.

If you peek at the background of this photo, you may notice another home-sewn item, also taken from a tutorial at V and Co.  It's the faux pleated pillow.  Using leftovers from my Central Park jelly roll, I whipped up my own pleated pillow.


Using the pre-cut strips of the jelly-roll, this pillow came together without too much pain.  You just have to fold the strips in half lengthwise, iron, and sew onto a piece of fabric cut to the size of your pillow.  The back is a simple envelope enclosure.  This pillow came together so nicely that I even made myself a Christmas version.  Unfortunately, I didn't snap a photo, so the evidence will have to come about next year.

(If you're wondering what the heck is a jelly-roll, check out all of the pre-cut definitions here.)

I guess I owe a big thanks to Miss Vanessa Christenson for all of her lovely design inspiration.  My nursery would not be the same with you.
Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...