Saturday, May 5, 2012

First cousin, once-removed, in-law

Last week we celebrated the arrival of my first cousin, once-removed, in-law.

I'll let that sink in for a second.

Got it?

How about if I call him my son's second cousin?  Or, my husband's cousin's son?  Whatever you call him, he is a precious gift to his family and we are so happy to meet him finally.


This guy's sex was a surprise until he was born, so Mommy went with a modern, gender neutral look for the nursery.  It turned out lovely and it just so happens that she has similar taste in patterns and color, so it was a breeze to pick out fabrics and a design for this quilt.


I gave a peek at this quilt here as I was working on it on my new machine.  This quilt was put together using triangle paper to create half square triangles.  (You may remember I was working on another HST project here.)  The triangle paper method was interesting.  I won't say it was my favorite technique, but I did get accurate results.  I suppose it's a matter of personal preference if you like precision or speed and ease.


Using bits and pieces of fabric leftover from the quilt, I whipped together a hooded towel and some little coordinating wash cloths.  We personally use a lot of these at my house as LO's sensitive tooshie prefers a wet wash cloth over traditional diaper wipe.


I love making these for shower gifts because you get a lot of bang for your buck.  The hooded towel and wash cloths come together from just one towel and some fabric scraps.  First off, I cut a standard size towel to a square.  Then I take the leftover towel piece and cut it down to squares - I think these are about 8 or 9 inch squares.

The fabrics:
Several prints from Robert Kaufman's Metro Living
Two prints from Kate Spain's Central Park
Several prints from Lotta Jansdotter's Echo
The turquoise dot print came from my local Beverly's (love them!)
I wish I could remember the gray solid and the orange/aqua/yellow floral print, but alas, the sources are escaping me at the moment.
Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...