Friday, May 25, 2012

A Granny for Granny

It's been a very productive few weeks.  With my new sewing machine, there's nothing I can't do! Well, it feels that way sometimes ;)

This year was my first official Mother's Day.  (I was pregnant last year, but we weren't spilling the beans just yet.)  I woke up to some delicious waffles and spent the day with family.  And speaking of family, about a week before Mother's Day, I asked my own mother what she wanted and she said, "a quilt would be nice."  Yes, a quilt in one week would be very nice, I replied.


Not one to back down from a challenge, I decided to see what I could do.  My mom was already the recipient of this quilt that I completed last year.  It's used at my parent's house for little babies who can't run laps around the couch yet.  The fabric - Nicey Jane - is a soft blue/green color palette that makes me think of my mom.  I had quite a bit of it left, so I got busy.


I'd been working on another project recently featuring the ever-so-popular granny square, inspired by this beautiful quilt.  I love the look of the granny square and it's so simple to make.


A Granny Square


My new affinity for granny squares, combined with my recent obsession with pinterest led me to the idea for my Mother's Day quilt pattern.  I kept seeing quilts on pinterest that looked like one giant quilt block, enlarged to make a quilt of a single block.  (It was only on closer inspection that I realized the quilts were actually mini quilts and my sense of scale was just off.  Oh well. )  


So, here it is....my Granny for Granny!
Giant Granny Square


Granny's quilt
I admit, it's a little tough to see the pattern since there's not a whole lot of contrast in the fabrics, but trust me, it's a giant granny square.  Instead of 2.5 inch squares like the original, the big granny has 9 inch squares.  The finished quilt is what I call "couch size".  It's not too wide, but long enough to cover your toes while you take a nap on the couch.


To finish things off, I decided to personalize the back of this quilt with Granny's actual name - Humma.  A little steam a seam and some applique later, and it was done!  And just in time for Mother's Day!


Humma
Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...