Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Give me s'more

With my new stay at home status, I've had time to do some major cleaning and experimental baking.  In one of my decluttering, goodwill donating kitchen afternoons, I stumbled on my candy thermometer - still new and in the box...from my wedding...two and half years ago.  It was a sad, sad shame to see it there in the back of the cupboard, a little dusty, Williams Sonoma sticker still on the outside.  What choice did I have but to put another pinterest recipe put to the test?  


I found this recipe for homemade marshmallows and made a batch or two without sprinkles (I told you we were "cutting back".)

Here they are all packaged up and ready to be gifted.


I used this recipe two different times and got two different results; I'm sure it's no thanks to my rookie status as a candy maker.  Now, I'm not saying these were inedible.  Don't get me wrong, sugary fluffy marshmallows on top of an oreo cookie crust is pretty hard not to like, but I still felt there was room for improvement in the consistency of the marshmallow itself.

The third try at marshmallows was made using this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.

Side note - Smitten Kitchen is one of my go-to food blogs for delicious recipes and eye candy.  It's impossible to click around and not find something you're dying to try.


Back to the marshmallows...

This recipe was similar in ingredients, but the preparation was slightly different.  Case in point: the first ingredients are beaten in a mixer for 10 minutes until tripled in volume.  Then you must beat egg whites  in a separate bowl until stiff peaks are formed.  This can be difficult if you only have one bowl attachment for your mixer.  Dangerous overflow can occur when you remove the fluffy contents from the mixer, whip up the egg whites and then try to add the fluffiness back to the bowl.  I don't recommend this method.


I decided to make these marshmallows a little different - i.e. not on top of an oreo crust.  Instead, I went the s'mores route and covered or dipped the cooled marshmallows in melting chocolate and then sprinkled crushed graham cracker crumbs on them.  Again, I rank this recipe as sweet and tasty (surprisingly better after the graham cracker crumbs softened), but I might dare to call it a bit egg-y.  So, the hunt continues for the perfect marshmallow recipe.  Anyone have a tried and true perfect recipe out there?


Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...