Thursday, June 21, 2012

My favorite food with a newborn

Being the expert now that I am on raising a newborn :) when we went to visit the newest addition to the family, I knew that muffins were a welcome treat to take along with the other homemade goods and dinner staples.  Muffins are a great one-handed snack to have while holding a newborn.  They don't create any dishes to wash, they're ready when you are and they are healthier (perhaps) than most cupcakes.


Some of the best muffins I've ever had have to come from Mimi's Cafe.  I don't even want to know how many calories or how much butter/oil is involved in the creation of these masterpieces because they are too good to pass up.  I went on a google hunt for a copy cat recipe and came up with this version.




I admit.  There were a few mishaps in the preparation of these muffins.  1. I forgot to add the salt.  2. Something went wrong in about one third of the muffins and the center fell out.  Not that that's a bad thing though for the baker.  I just packaged up the pretty ones for the new parents and kept the "ugly" ones at home.


Perhaps it's the crushed pineapple or the whole cup (eh, hem) of oil, but these muffins are so moist and delicious that you won't even care if you get the one with the fallen center.  I don't even like nuts in my general diet, but the walnuts here are so important to the perfect marriage of the raisins, carrots, and pineapple magic.


After the salt incident of the carrot muffins, I realized a simple strategy to avoid this mistake in the future.  Now when I bake, I place all of the ingredients on one side of the kitchen counter, and as I use each one, I move it to the other side of the kitchen.  By the end of the recipe, everything should be cleared off of the counter or even put away.  It's genius!  Ok, not genius, but it should help a little bit.
Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...